CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Thursday, December 6, 2007

The following pictures . . .

My cell is back up today so I thought I'd show everybody what it looks
like here. It was an extraordinarily powerful storm that raged here
Sunday/Monday. Our damage seems to be some shingles (I just crawled
up there and yay, no leaking (yet)), a windshield (the van's took a
wind-carried rock on Sunday), and missing a bunch of work/income.
After driving around, we feel pretty lucky. We were blessedly
prepared because our power out here in Hammond goes out frequently.
But, it's never been for 3 1/2 days! We already had the generator,
which we ran each day for about 6 hours, and I'd stockpiled about 25
gallons of gas. For a while you couldn't get gas in the whole county,
and once generators were hooked up, the lines were like the 70's. I
bought fridge thermometers and we didn't lose the nog, milk, or yogurt.
I did, however, lose my patience being so cooped up with whiny
electricity-addicted kids, but we did pretty well. And, the phones
were totally down here until this am (my cell came to life last
night), so this is the first time in 14 years my ham radio license
(and actually owning a radio!) would've been seriously potentially
life-savingly handy. Better get on that. It's been a good wake-up
call in a lot of ways.

Sent from my iPhone

3 comments:

Garrett said...

Thanks for the pics. I miss it there. I hope clean up goes well for everyone.

gjacobsen said...

Wish I could have been there to help. Lucky would be sad about the Cathedral Tree trail.

curly girl said...

Wow, I knew about the damage from talking to L, but seeing it is another story. It's amazing what the forces of nature can do. What an ordeal! Even though I didn't go up to the Cathedral tree as much as you did, it's still bumming me out. Did you check on anything at the Column?