CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Sunday, December 2, 2007

This Storm's a Rockin'

. . . and it's supposed to get worse! They're saying we on the headlands could hit gusts of 100mph. Here's hoping I don't have to use the tarp we just bought to patch roof damage.
And now for a story that will seem irrelevant but isn't. Today at church, W had me take him to the bathroom twice within about half-an-hour (the usual is once). The second time was near the end of the congregational meeting, and we strolled back in just in time for the closing hymn. After the hymn, the Bishop announced that tonight's opening of the church for the Mormon Tabernacle Choir's Christmas special would be cancelled. As usual, W said "Time for Primary!" and we headed down to the kids meeting room. On our way, one of the librarians asked if church was cancelled, and I said, "no, the Bishop was just cancelling the Christmas broadcast." We were a bit ahead of the kid pack when we got to the Primary room, but W was content to sit there and wait. So, I left him there. Then, a few minutes later, a friend said, "Your son's down there waiting by himself. You should go down there and get him." I was a little miffed, thinking "Don't they have teachers who can show up on time?" Soon, one teacher did bring W down the hall, and I was still a but confused. Finally, someone enlightened me that the rest of church was cancelled. People were like, "The Bishop announced it. Weren't you listening?" Well, it's pretty hard to hear when you spend so much of the meeting on bathroom duty with your 5-year-old.
On the way home, we passed Tapiola Park and one of their large trees was blown down. Young's Bay was ripping worse than I've ever seen, with lots of whitecaps at unusual heights, angles, and frequencies. The bridge was exciting, as you'd expect, but it was extra fun because the rocks they put down for the recent cold snap were blowing in the wind. So even though L was going maybe 30, we now have a nice new large crack in the van windshield. Also, where the span meets the causeway, it was shooting wind and water so dramatically that I was nervous we might get some aerodynamic lift. I also heard several rocks hit the GTI but haven't checked it closely yet.
So now I'm at home blogging from my phone and taking pictures of my shed. Since the last storm put a sizeable portion of my neighbor's shed in my yard, I reinforced mine a little. Yes, Dad, that's the famous orange twine. In fact, I think it's the actual twine pieces I used camping with Justin and Alan near Mt. St. Helens when we brought the tent and the tarp poles (they don't work together so well). This twine has experience. Our power has been flickering like crazy, too. It's been off and on about 8 or 10 times in the last couple hours, but it's currently on and we're going about our business.

6 comments:

DMo said...

Sorry you missed Bishop's announcement. It was interesting, especially since he didn't mention anything about it in the meetings that morning.

Also, I don't know how long you hung around, but the power cut out at the church just after the majority of people left.

We parked at the lower parking lot and I went to get the van...four of the five kids thought it would be fun to come with me. The wind knocked C down and he skinned his need. They all thought the storm was pretty cool, though.

Also a large branch from our trees out front broke off in the wind and blocked the road. I took a saw out, with the trees forociously swaying and the power wires above me whipping around, and cut the branch enough to move the bulk of it out of the way in case we needed to get out in an emergency. I still don't know how well we can get out, but H wisely called me back in so I didn't kill myself.

Bri-onic Man said...

Yeah, the power at the church went out just before we left. E was NOT happy because she was VERY set on going to the nursery like she usually does. And, as we walked out the doors, we did see a kid (not yours) wipe out. Lots of fun. You reminded me that I need a chainsaw!

curly girl said...

Wow, guys! We were talking about your forecast today and hoping that the meteorologists would be wrong. That's some crazy stuff, and nothing you can do but hang on and keep your chainsaw handy, I guess. That, and your iPhone. And your generator. Good luck!

gjacobsen said...

I still have a partial roll of that orange polyester twine in my back pack for emergency bugout. That twine, a tarp, some fire starters, knife and a harmonica,... and some raw frogs, I could be Survivor Man!
Sorry about the van. Would like to have seen Youngs Bay, or the tower at the Jetty.

Take care....

Oh, I have been happy with my Stihl chain saw.

Nancy Zundel said...

We've been seeing the reports of flooding in Tillamook and all the other damage that is happening. Hope you guys are ok up there. Keep us updated on the storm!

Kate said...

Hope you guys are okay and aren't having to worry about flooding. That is amazing weather! I'll keep checking in to see how you guys are faring