CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, December 24, 2007

A Little Indigestion . . .


So yes, I still claim I will eat the Philly. However, it's really got to be an intermittent thing, otherwise I will be too fat and lethargic to escape the floodwaters. Then again, I'll float better and be better-insulated against hypothermia . . . so much to consider. :-)

Seriously, though, I'm kind of an exercise nut at heart, and I like doing extreme cycling distance events, Hood to Coast, etc. Mr. Sans Auto and I still need to finish his cross-USA ride. That's why this blog is called "The Bri-onic Man" (although the topics have drifted from my fitness exploits . . . note to self: fix that) Thus, long-term I'll keep Philly consumption intermittent and I can even see myself getting back to my sugar-free ways (believe it or not, I did it for a while and actually slept better, got leaner, and felt better too!).

BUT, I can also see myself staying in line with the "Eat the Philly" philosophy. We had plenty of warning that this storm was approaching, and so I can use that opportunity to eat deadly food before I face the deadly elements. This circumstance of looming death storms has typically been rare (but as I said before, my prediction is that it'll become more frequent). When I'm warned, I'll chow! :-)

Thanks to all for slogging through the huge post, by the way. It was something that I needed to get down on (virtual) paper because it had been stewing inside me. I was most nervous about what kind of comments I might get from Sans. I've gotta say, you handled it with level-headedness and poise, and I think you might even let me ride with you again. Although I am not likely to ever match your enviro or blogging zeal, I admire your tenacity in both. I agree with you and dmo that focusing on the right priorities is going to tend to help the environment, too.

In light of the recent disaster here, my focus has mostly been on short-term preparedness. And, that's the best place to start for just about anybody, I suppose. Once that's solid, though, then I think you do need to get more into the "gray area" Sans was talking about. Self-sufficiency (bike prowess, being efficient, growing food, etc.) is certainly about the best kind of long-term preparedness. And, it's great insulation against price swings in oil and food. So, although I might lack confidence that mother nature will allow solar panels to stay on my roof, it's still a great idea to have efficient/passive lighting as a matter of cost savings. And who knows, it might even help us teeter at the "tipping point" a little longer before we take the plunge down our environmental Splash Mountain.

So I guess, in essence, I'm just elaborating and re-hashing what I already said: don't get so caught up with your small role in prevention (of climate disasters) that you're not prepared for your own local disasters (that are likely to happen because we're consuming like crazy, China is chopping down vast tracts of forests in Indonesia, etc.) But once one is sufficiently short-term prepared, there's a lot of wisdom to living light on the land as it pertains to long-term preparedness. The environmental ramifications of this strategy become a nice side-benefit.

Geoffrey: Glad you're using the Honda more. It's an efficiency and cost step in the right direction. Even though the mileage isn't as good as a bicycle, if you've gotta drive, a car like this would be sweet, too.

Nancy: At this point, arguing with Barry might help me sort out what the heck I even think anymore. I could really have a fine argument with myself. The fatalistic schizo part of me would say, "Go ahead and drive that Suburban (just don't complain to me about the cost of gas . . .) since we're all doomed anyway" and a different schizo part of me would say, "Well, every little bit helps. Besides, you'd be sparing a little more room on the road for bikes and I could even see when I'm backing the GTI out of parking spaces". Reminds me of a recent arrangement I hashed out with one of the nurses I work with at Tongue Point. Our parking habits made me have to pop up like a groundhog to see over her truck then hop quickly back in my car and hope to back out before anybody came up the road. Now, though, by rearranging how we park, I can see fine regardless (from a seated position) and it makes no difference to her. See, we can all live together in peace and love (until nature takes us out).

Eric: it's a little-known fact that you are funnier than I am. You'd be pleased to know I'm registered "independent". I still fear the RNC, nonetheless, and hope they will retaliate by raising taxes on gasoline.

Thanks again for all the feedback, everybody! Next time I need to float a controversial idea I'll know who to turn to.

8 comments:

curly girl said...

Other Blogs from Cool People...a list I can only hope to make someday.

I'm registered "independent," too, as that leaves me free to criticize everybody. Like the brilliant politicians here in WA that won't let you vote in the primary unless you are a registered Dem or Rep...and then they only give you that ballot. But I'm not bitter, no.

Hey, it sounds like our paths (in our minivans) might cross in Vanc on Wed?!

Bri-onic Man said...

Congrats, Kristin R. It's been a long and arduous process, but the way you handled the five-headed, fire-breathing dragon has sealed the deal. You are now officially cool (and on the list!)!

geoffrey said...

i checked out a few of your car links, and am excited that chevy's supposed volt is exciting because it actually looks like a car! if you get blown away in the next storm can i have your bikes?

curly girl said...

Hey, bro, I "tagged" you on my blog. Go read mine and see the rules. I hate doing this to people, but figured, hey, we're related, so a)you might do it b)I won't feel rejected if you don't!

Garrett said...

You may find this hard to believe, but I think you've gone further than me on the whole environment thing. We've been promised that the earth will not be destroyed again. I believe that. Global warming isn't going to be the end. Peak oil is what we need to worry about. Read Alma 32:14-16,(I realize that I'm taking this out of context, but I believe in teh principle) notice that people are compeled to be humble through poverty. If gas were $50 a gallon, that would happen. Those who didn't know how to live humbly (modestly, simply, off the land to a certain extent) would be compelled to be humble (or die). Those who were already living humbly wouldn't have to change much, their humble lifestyle would be the source of enormous blessings. This leads us back to Genesis 1:28 where we are commanded to make babies and are given a stewardship over the earth.

Sorry, that got a little preachy. I'll stop now.

Bri-onic Man said...

Feel free to preach . . . tough times call for tough love, and this is all good food for thought. As more time passes and I realize nature has not yet taken me out, I do progressively lean more toward thinking long-term. I do still feel that a first priority should be short-term emergency preparedness. But you're right in making the point that living simply and efficiently is vital to long-term preparedness. And, you're correct that those who use less will be better-positioned to deal with having less. Many reasons exist as to why one might suddenly have less. In many cases I believe this will be environmental, but it can likely also be due to limited and/or expensive goods/commodities (like oil), damaged supply lines, and so on.
I also agree that the ultimate end of the world scenario will not be one where everyone is wiped out purely by environmental catastrophe. From the way I read it, though, I do expect it to be a present player as the drama unfolds (earthquakes, floods, etc.), and I do think that global climate change provides a plausible mechanism for calamitous prophecies to be fulfilled.

Garrett said...

Yes, I agree with you. You have to be prepared for now, but I like to look long term. Surviving today is of little use if I have no way of making it through the winter. But you're right, if you don't make it through today, it doens't matter if you can make it through the winter.

Good discussion, I like it.

Nancy Zundel said...

B, I will try to get Barry to email you a link to a video you need to watch. You can watch it on your i-phone when your waiting at the next bus stop :)