CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Thursday, August 2, 2007

Man, I live in a beautiful place.

It took me about 40 minutes to get home from work. Out on the Young's
Bay Bridge, a motorcyclist got "blown over by a gust of wind." That's
what I'd tell my insurance company too. Anyway, it clogged things to
the point that it might have been like Portland traffic. Not like
Seattle, though. And yes, the rider sustained only minor injuries.
So, I occasionally have patience issues, especially when stuck behind
RVs (a regular occurrence when you live near a really big state
park). I say, "leave your house at home!" Instead of letting my
blood boil, I try to say "man, I live in a beautiful place!" and I say
it as I admire lovely scenery that others travel so far (slowly and in
front of me) to see. Like this distractingly gusty bridge where I
took this picture. I cross it going to work (but have promised my
wife not to brave it on my bike due to a narrow span, log trucks,
distracted drivers, etc.)

7 comments:

Chrissy said...

Love the blog! You do live in a very beautiful place even with all that traffic! Tell L, W and E hello for us!

Bri-onic Man said...

Will do. Thanks for the comment! Yeah, this is the time of year when it's absolutely gorgeous and ~70 degrees here. Winter, on the other hand . . . Not so nice. :-)

DMo said...

Did you get to watch those "pokey-beaked seagull-looking" birds while you were waiting on the bridge? They aren't seagulls, but their like the f-35 version of seagulls (same coloring, but cooler design). I love watching them hover over the water, then instantly speed-dive straight into the water and emerge from the water with a fish in their mouth. You can't see that stuck in Portland traffic.

Bri-onic Man said...

Yeah, if you've gotta be stuck in traffic I'll take it in a nice, breezy 65 degrees with birds to watch and stuff. When I rolled my window down that day, actually, I could feel mist from the water hitting the rocks along the causeway.
The birds you're describing might be Caspian Terns. They're like fast-looking seagulls. I pulled them up on Google image search and they seem to fit the bill. And, I've heard they're quite the pest, so I suppose they're around.

gjacobsen said...

I have ridden that causeway on a motorcycle...and had a few gusts of excitement. Enough so that I would go around over Airport Hill...for the scenery, of course.

Bri-onic Man said...

Yep, there are certainly some times out there where it gets a little breezy.

curly girl said...

I remember the first time we ever crossed that bridge shortly after we moved to Astoria and I was just completely awestruck. I became a little more immune as the years went by, I'm sure, but it is still gives me a sense of WOW every time I go home. Which, incidentally, will occur in 2 days! Wahoo!